The Mackenzie Poltergeist: What Really Happened at Greyfriars

The Mackenzie Poltergeist is blamed for attacks inside Greyfriars Kirkyard. The prison’s true footprint and a controlled haunting study make the story stranger.

Locked iron gate of the Covenanters' Prison enclosure in Greyfriars Kirkyard
The locked Covenanters’ Prison enclosure. It preserves the western edge of the much larger Inner Greyfriars Yard used in 1679.

Accounts of the Mackenzie Poltergeist follow a familiar pattern. A group passes through the locked gate after dark, and somewhere in the next twenty minutes one visitor collapses or feels unable to stand. Sometimes companions catch them. Later, someone notices marks: three parallel scratches across a shoulder blade, small bruises around a wrist, pressure marks at the throat. These are reported experiences, not independently verified case files, and that distinction matters.

Tour operators and writers have collected hundreds of such reports since the late 1990s. Some accounts include photographs or descriptions of medical treatment, but there is no public, independent register against which the claims can be checked. What gets blamed has a name. The Mackenzie Poltergeist is said to be Sir George Mackenzie of Rosehaugh, Lord Advocate to Charles II, whose domed tomb stands on the other side of the kirkyard.

The story assembles itself neatly. In the summer of 1679, after the Covenanting army broke at Bothwell Brig, at least 1,184 prisoners were brought to Edinburgh and held for months in the open Inner Greyfriars Yard. The government whose policy Mackenzie enforced kept them on a meagre ration. Some died, some were tried and executed, and others were transported. Twelve years later Mackenzie was buried close to the ground on which they had been confined. More than three centuries after that, visitors began reporting attacks behind a locked gate.

The symmetry is so satisfying that it has often replaced the map.

What the Modern Gate Hides

The gated strip now called the Covenanters’ Prison was not a separate or mistaken site. It formed the western edge of the much larger, three-acre Inner Greyfriars Yard used in 1679. What is misleading is its present shape. The enclosing wall, stone gateway and burial vaults were added only after the city authorised a narrow cemetery extension in 1703; the first recorded burial right followed in 1704. Most of the original prison yard stretched east beneath what are now Forrest Road, Bristo Place and the buildings between them.

So two things can be true. The modern reports exist, although their causes are unverified. And the locked enclosure preserves a real fragment of the prison ground, but not the prison’s seventeenth-century boundaries or appearance.

Listen to The Dark Atlas on Spotify. The Greyfriars episode will appear here when released.

The companion episode takes the argument to the ground itself: what a 1909 survey established about the prison’s full footprint, and how the later burial enclosure reshaped public memory. Follow The Dark Atlas on Spotify and Season 1 reaches you as each location is mapped.

The Place: Greyfriars Kirkyard and the Locked Gate

Greyfriars sits above the Grassmarket on ground that slopes and then, disconcertingly, keeps rising. The kirkyard is entered from Candlemaker Row through a gate beside a pub, and the first thing many visitors stop at is a small pink-granite headstone just inside. It commemorates Greyfriars Bobby, the Skye terrier traditionally said to have kept watch by his master’s grave for fourteen years. His statue stands on the pavement outside, where repeated nose-rubbing has worn away the bronze.

Past Bobby, the ground opens. Hundreds of monuments stand over a burial population far larger than the stones suggest, and centuries of interment have visibly altered the topography. Walled tombs line the boundaries, the older ones carved with the seventeenth-century vocabulary of the death’s head, the hourglass and crossed bones. Iron cages sit low over a handful of graves — mortsafes, installed during the nineteenth-century fear of body-snatching. A section of the Flodden Wall runs along the southern edge. Beyond it rise the turrets of George Heriot’s School.

Iron mortsafes covering graves in Greyfriars Kirkyard
Iron mortsafes protected recent burials during Edinburgh’s nineteenth-century body-snatching era.

In the north-east corner stands the Martyrs’ Monument. Along the western side, groups of people in their twenties photograph a weathered stone bearing the name Thomas Riddell, and another for a McGonagall, and the tour guides here have long since stopped correcting anyone about what J.K. Rowling did or did not confirm.

The Black Mausoleum

And on the left as you come in stands a squat domed rotunda in blackened sandstone. It is often called the Black Mausoleum, and it anchors the modern Mackenzie Poltergeist story. The soot-darkened building was designed by James Smith and modelled on Bramante’s Tempietto at San Pietro in Montorio, Rome — a martyrium, the architectural form of a saint’s shrine. Historic Environment Scotland’s listing dates the mausoleum to 1691.

Sir George Mackenzie's circular domed mausoleum in Greyfriars Kirkyard
Sir George Mackenzie’s 1691 mausoleum, often called the Black Mausoleum.

The part of Greyfriars at the centre of this story lies in the far south-western corner, past the Martyrs’ Monument and behind the kirk. An iron gate closes off a long, narrow strip of burial ground, not much wider than a lane. Vaults line both sides. The gate is normally locked, and access is controlled. Over the wall at the far end, ordinary Edinburgh carries on: tenements, satellite dishes and the top deck of a bus.

The sign on the gate calls it the Covenanters’ Prison.

The History Behind the Mackenzie Poltergeist

The friary that gave the place its name was gone by the middle of the sixteenth century, and the ground was granted for burial in 1561 because the yard at St Giles was full. The kirk opened in 1620. The National Covenant was first signed here in 1638, binding its supporters to defend a Presbyterian settlement against royal intervention.

After the Restoration returned Charles II to the throne, the state imposed episcopal control on the Scottish church. Ministers were ejected, conventicles were outlawed and dissenters faced fines, imprisonment, transportation and, in some cases, execution. The harshest later phase became known as the Killing Times. In June 1679 the conflict produced a battle at Bothwell Brig.

The Covenanting force broke on 22 June. Contemporary accounts record at least 1,184 prisoners in Greyfriars. They were held for more than four months, largely without shelter, and the surviving records describe a daily ration of four ounces of bread per man, supplemented when townspeople could get food to them. Some died. Some were tried and executed. Others escaped or were released after signing a bond of loyalty to the Crown. In November, 257 prisoners sentenced to transportation were put aboard the Crown of London; the ship was wrecked off Orkney and 48 prisoners survived.

Illustrative reconstruction of Covenanter prisoners guarded in the open Inner Greyfriars Yard in 1679
Artist’s reconstruction of the 1679 imprisonment. The real prison was an open grass yard south of the burial ground, not the later gated vaults.

Who Was Sir George Mackenzie?

Mackenzie’s name attaches to the policy, but “jailer” is too simple. As Lord Advocate he was the Crown’s chief prosecutor and a member of the Privy Council. He defended and enforced the government’s campaign against Presbyterian dissenters, earning the name Bluidy Mackenzie in the tradition that followed.

That reputation is still only part of the man. Mackenzie served as a justice-depute during the witchcraft panic of 1661–62 and participated in trials that ended in death sentences. The experience contributed to his later doubts about the evidence being accepted. In a speech published in 1672 he wrote that “poor Innocents die in multitudes by an unworthy Martyredom.” His 1678 textbook on Scots criminal law demanded higher standards of proof in witchcraft cases, and as Lord Advocate he generally discouraged such prosecutions. He also published Aretina, often described as the first Scottish novel, and helped initiate the Advocates’ Library in the early 1680s; that collection later formed the foundation of the National Library of Scotland.

So the man remembered as the Mackenzie Poltergeist later argued that fear and coerced testimony were poor evidence, even as his office pursued Covenanters with severity. He is buried close to the ground on which prisoners were confined. Both things are true, and neither cancels the other.

Which leaves the ground itself, and this is where the story that everyone tells comes apart.

Where the Prison Really Was

The Inner Yard was not part of the burial ground in 1679. It was a walled grass park of more than three acres, extending from the boundary of George Heriot’s Hospital east towards Bristo Place and crossing the line of present-day Forrest Road. In 1703 the city built Bedlam on the eastern section. That same year the council authorised a wall forty-eight feet east of Heriot’s boundary to create a narrow burial extension at the western end. The stone gateway and wall followed, and the first recorded application for a burial place there was granted in 1704. The vaults were graves, never prison cells.

W. Moir Bryce reconstructed that footprint from city records in a 1909 paper for the Old Edinburgh Club. His correction is precise: the narrow strip was not the whole prison, as tradition implied, but it did form part of the larger Inner Yard. The difference matters because the modern gate makes one surviving fragment look like the complete historical site.

One more number belongs here because it appears in many accounts. The Martyrs’ Monument, first raised in 1706 and rebuilt in 1771, commemorates persecution from the execution of the Marquis of Argyll in 1661 to that of James Renwick in 1688. Its inscription gives a martyrological total of about eighteen thousand people killed or otherwise lost across the whole cause, then states separately that about one hundred were executed in Edinburgh. Reading only the first figure turns a broad commemorative total into eighteen thousand Edinburgh executions — a claim the inscription itself does not make.

The Martyrs' Monument among gravestones in Greyfriars Kirkyard
The Martyrs’ Monument commemorates Covenanters persecuted between 1661 and 1688.

The stone is more careful than the people quoting it.

The Legend of the Mackenzie Poltergeist

The tomb had a reputation long before anything modern happened. Edinburgh children dared each other at the door with a rhyme inviting Bluidy Mackenzie to come out if he dared, and Robert Louis Stevenson, writing about his own city in the 1870s, treated the tomb’s restlessness as common knowledge and gave the reasoning behind it: a man whose soul is in hell is not a man whose body stays where it is put.

The modern phenomenon begins with a break-in, but even its date shifts between retellings. Published versions place it in 1998, 1999 or 2000. That uncertainty is a useful warning: the founding event of one of Britain’s best-known modern hauntings is folklore before it is chronology.

Tour literature tells of an unnamed man who entered the Mackenzie mausoleum, went down into the lower chamber and fell through a weakened floor into a space containing human remains. Some versions call him homeless and seeking shelter; others call him a thief. No contemporary source cited in those retellings establishes his identity or motive. The responsible version is therefore the smallest one: an unnamed person entered the tomb, fell and fled.

How the Modern Haunting Took Shape

Reports of attacks followed. Writers describe a woman thrown back by a wall of cold, later reports of scratches, and a visitor found unconscious who said she had felt hands at her throat. Jan-Andrew Henderson popularised the name “Mackenzie Poltergeist” in The Ghost That Haunted Itself, and City of the Dead Tours built its haunted-graveyard tour around controlled access to the enclosure.

The claims accumulated, and so did their range: scratches, bruising, burns, bites and collapses, usually inside the enclosure. Published accounts also attribute smashed crockery, moving objects and fires to the phenomenon. A spiritualist minister, Colin Grant, attempted to lay it to rest; he died of a heart attack weeks later, a coincidence that became part of the legend. A 2003 fire at Henderson’s home and office was folded into the story in the same way. These are elements of the reported folklore, not evidence that one event caused another.

Illustrative night tour at the locked Covenanters' Prison gate in Greyfriars Kirkyard
Illustrative reconstruction of a modern Greyfriars ghost tour. Reports of scratches, collapses and other incidents remain unverified.

A later violation of the tomb does have a court record. In June 2003 two teenagers forced the mausoleum doors. One cut the mummified head from an unidentified body and carried it into the kirkyard; a tour operator challenged them after seeing something wrapped in a blanket. The pair were convicted of violation of sepulchre — reportedly the first Scottish prosecution for that offence in more than a century — and received three and two years’ probation. The details are grisly enough without the extra inventions that later accounts have added.

Why the Attack Count Is Unreliable

The tally of Mackenzie Poltergeist attacks is where the story finally stops pretending to be documentary. One source has more than a hundred incidents logged by the year 2000. Another gives over 350. Another gives over 500. None of them says who counted, or how, or what was counted as an attack. The figure grows in the direction the telling needs.

One detail complicates the usual story. Modern reports are said to cluster not at Mackenzie’s mausoleum but near the Dundas vault inside the locked enclosure. That claim comes chiefly through the tour tradition and later journalism, rather than an independent incident map.

In other words, the alleged activity is not centred on Mackenzie’s tomb. It occurs inside a later burial enclosure that preserves the western edge of the real prison yard, behind the gate through which the story is now experienced.

The Sceptics: What Could Explain the Mackenzie Poltergeist

Start with the arithmetic nobody does. The Mackenzie Poltergeist has a denominator problem.

The incident totals have a denominator problem. City of the Dead has taken groups into the enclosure for decades, but it does not publish the total number of visitors alongside the reported attacks. Without that denominator, a claim of one hundred, 350 or 500 incidents cannot be converted into a meaningful rate. The numbers sound large because the uneventful visits are not counted in the story.

The reports also have a custodian. They are collected, curated and published by the company that holds the only key to the only place they occur, and which sells tickets on the strength of them. That is not an accusation of dishonesty; Jan-Andrew Henderson has been notably more candid about his own uncertainty than most of the operators who have since borrowed his material. The point is structural. There is no independent register, no denominator published alongside the numerator, and no mechanism by which a night when nothing happened enters the record at all.

Then there is what the visitor is told before they go in. The standard patter, reproduced in accounts going back years, includes a reassurance that the entity only ever picks one person, so if the person beside you goes down, you are safe. Consider what that sentence does. It tells a group standing in the dark that a collapse is expected, that it will be singular, and that they should be watching each other for it. The sentence is not a warning but a set of instructions, and people are extraordinarily good at following instructions their conscious mind has classified as entertainment.

Physical Explanations

Collapse needs no paranormal cause. Vasovagal syncope — an ordinary faint — can be triggered by prolonged standing, emotional stress, pain or fear; dehydration, fasting and alcohol can increase the likelihood. Those factors can overlap on an evening walking tour. A faint should still be treated as a medical event rather than dismissed as theatre: NHS guidance advises seeking medical assessment, particularly when warning signs are present.

The marks are harder to assess because the public record consists mainly of retrospective reports. Unnoticed contact with rough masonry, clothing, bags or another person’s hand can leave transient lines. Dermatographia can produce raised red welts within minutes of scratching or pressure, usually fading within about half an hour. It could explain some temporary “scratch” photographs, but it does not explain lasting bruises or every claimed injury. Without contemporaneous examination, the honest conclusion is that the cause of any individual mark is unknown.

The geography still strengthens the sceptical case, just not in the way the legend’s critics sometimes claim. The locked strip is authentic prison ground, but it was only the western edge of a much larger yard. The modern reports cluster where the later wall, gate, vaults and guided narrative concentrate attention, while the rest of the historic site — now beneath roads and buildings — has almost no equivalent folklore. That is evidence about how boundaries and expectation organise experience, not proof that the ground is “wrong.”

Annotated map showing the present Covenanters' Prison enclosure on the western edge of the larger 1679 Inner Greyfriars Yard
The present gated enclosure preserves only the western edge of the much larger Inner Greyfriars Yard used as a prison in 1679. Approximate reconstruction based on W. Moir Bryce’s 1909 survey.

And now the door, because it should be left open honestly rather than politely.

The Controlled Vaults Study

In April 2001, a mile from Greyfriars, psychologist Richard Wiseman and colleagues studied the South Bridge Vaults. The published experiment involved 218 self-selecting participants, each assigned to spend about ten minutes in one of ten vaults and record unusual experiences. Reports were more frequent in vaults with stronger prior reputations, including among participants who said they had no prior knowledge of those reputations. The pattern also correlated with ordinary environmental features: exterior light levels and vault height were associated with the number of reported experiences. Because the study was correlational and involved only ten vaults, it could not identify a single cause.

That leaves something interesting on the table, but not a paranormal remainder. The study supports the idea that normal environmental cues can shape where people report unusual sensations, often without conscious knowledge of a site’s reputation. It does not show that stone chambers exert an unknown force on the nervous system, and it was not a controlled test of the Mackenzie Poltergeist. Its value here is narrower: experience can cluster by place without requiring a ghost.

My Thoughts

I think the sceptical account is broadly correct. I also think it becomes weaker when it pretends the evidence is cleaner than it is.

There is no independent incident register, no published visitor denominator and no medical documentation available for most claimed injuries. That means I cannot responsibly say that hundreds of people entered unmarked and left wounded. I can say that the reports have persisted for more than twenty-five years, that some visitors sincerely describe frightening experiences, and that a business has grown around those accounts. The distinction reduces the claim, but it does not make the story uninteresting.

What changed the piece for me was still the ground, but not because the reports occur in the wrong place. The 1909 survey says the opposite: the gated strip formed part of the prison yard. The real correction is about scale and presentation. A three-acre open enclosure has been remembered as a forty-eight-foot burial lane built a generation later, and the later vaults have been mistaken for cells. The history is genuine; the scenery through which we receive it is not.

Places do not remember with surveyor’s precision. We install memory into them with gates, plaques, routes and repeated stories. Greyfriars shows how powerful that installation can be. The surviving strip is close enough to the seventeenth-century truth to anchor the legend, while the larger part beneath Forrest Road and Bristo Place has no lock, no theatrical threshold and almost no haunting tradition. That does not disprove the Mackenzie Poltergeist. It shows where human attention has been taught to gather.

What the Place Actually Remembers

The thing I cannot get past is not that the location is false. It is that authenticity here comes in layers.

The prison ground is real. The present enclosure is later. The injuries are reported. Their causes are usually unwitnessed. Suggestion, syncope and ordinary contact can explain much of the pattern, but each explanation must be used carefully enough that it could, in principle, be proved wrong. Otherwise scepticism becomes as self-sealing as the haunting: every result is absorbed and neither account risks anything.

So the question I am left with is practical. What evidence would distinguish a paranormal attack from an unnoticed injury, a faint or a story strengthened in the retelling? Until there is independent recording, contemporaneous examination and a count of uneventful visits, the Mackenzie Poltergeist remains a powerful tradition attached to real ground — and an evidential case that has not yet been made.

Black bird on grass between gravestones in a cemetery
A black bird among the gravestones. Photo by Viola Kovács on Unsplash.

Visitor Information

Greyfriars Kirkyard sits at the southern edge of Edinburgh’s Old Town, entered from Candlemaker Row and about ten minutes’ walk from Waverley station. The kirkyard is free, maintained by the City of Edinburgh Council and currently accessible 24 hours a day through the Candlemaker Row gate. The Kirk does not own the burial ground; check the official visitor information before travelling because access arrangements can change.

The church itself normally opens to general visitors from April to October, Monday to Friday from 10.30 to 16.30 and Saturday from 12.00 to 16.00. Entry is free and donations are invited. Special events can alter those hours, and Greyfriars is a Fringe venue, so it closes to general visitors on many August dates. It remains a working congregation with Sunday services.

Access to the Covenanters’ Prison

The Covenanters’ Prison is the one part you cannot simply enter. City of the Dead currently advertises sole regular tour access and runs both daytime kirkyard tours and after-dark ghost tours; the Kirk and Friends of Greyfriars sometimes provide access on special open days. Schedules, prices and accessibility change, so check the operator’s current information and book ahead. The surface is uneven, and sensible footwear is essential.

Staying overnight in Edinburgh? Compare places to stay in Edinburgh. If you book through this link, Shin Stories may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.

To understand the geography after your visit, leave the kirkyard and walk east along Forrest Road towards Bristo Place. Much of the former Inner Greyfriars Yard lies beneath the street and the buildings around you. The locked enclosure is the surviving western sliver, not the whole prison.

Two things on conduct. This is an active burial ground, not a set — the Harry Potter stones are people’s graves, and the families of some of them are still traceable. And the bronze on Bobby’s nose is being worn to nothing by a superstition invented for tourists; the people who maintain it would rather you didn’t.

Before You Go

The historical record for this location — Bryce’s 1909 reconstruction of the prison footprint, the Martyrs’ Monument inscription, Mackenzie’s later writing on witchcraft evidence, the modern court report and the controlled vaults study — is linked in the sources below.

This is location nine of twenty in Season 1 of The Dark Atlas. Continue through the archive with the Pendle witch trials and Borley Rectory, or listen to the companion episode when it appears here.

Everything else lives at shinstories.co.uk.

Sources

Books and Academic Works

Affiliate disclosure: The Henderson book link below is an Amazon affiliate link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.

Bryce, W. Moir. ‘The Covenanters’ Prison in the Inner Greyfriars Yard’. The Book of the Old Edinburgh Club (1909). The foundational reconstruction showing that the modern enclosure formed the western edge of a much larger prison yard.

Wiseman, R., Watt, C., Stevens, P., Greening, E., & O’Keeffe, C. ‘An investigation into alleged “hauntings”’. British Journal of Psychology, 94 (2003), 195–211.

Mackenzie, Sir George. The Laws and Customs of Scotland in Matters Criminal (1678).

Lang, Andrew. Sir George Mackenzie, King’s Advocate, of Rosehaugh: His Life and Times, 1636(?)–1691. Longmans, Green & Co. (1909). The standard biography, and openly hostile in places.

Jackson, Clare. ‘Compassing Allegiance: Sir George Mackenzie and Restoration Scottish Royalism’, in Politics, Religion and Ideas in Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Britain. Boydell & Brewer, 2019.

Henderson, Jan-Andrew. The Ghost That Haunted Itself. The primary compilation of modern witness reports, written by the operator of the tours on which many were collected.

Journalism and Long-form Reporting

The Guardian, ‘Boys avoid jail for “violating” tomb and beheading corpse’ (April 2004). Contemporary court reporting on the mausoleum violation and sentences.

The Scotsman, ‘A spirited experiment: the science of ghosts’ (2009). Includes Wiseman’s own account of what surprised him in the vaults data.

The Scotsman, heritage feature on the Black Mausoleum and the Covenanters’ Prison (October 2025), including the detail that reported incidents cluster at the Dundas vault.

Edinburgh Evening News, reporting on the 2021 police enquiry into unauthorised access to the Mackenzie mausoleum.

Official and Institutional Sources

Greyfriars Kirkyard Trust and the Scottish Covenanter Memorials Association, interpretive marker at the Covenanters’ Prison gate (erected 2007). The source for the ration, four-month confinement, 257 transported prisoners and 48 survivors; it also states that the gated area formed part of the 1679 prison ground and was later laid out for burials.

Martyrs’ Monument, Greyfriars Kirkyard (erected 1706, rebuilt 1771). Inscription transcribed by the Scottish Covenanter Memorials Association.

Historic Environment Scotland listed-building record: Greyfriars Churchyard, its monuments and the Covenanters’ Prison.

Greyfriars Kirk, visitor information and current access guidance.

Further Reading

Jardine, Mark. Jardine’s Book of Martyrs. Detailed archival work on the Bothwell Brig prisoners, including the figure of at least 1,184 delivered to Edinburgh.

Curious Edinburgh (University of Edinburgh), ‘Greyfriars Kirkyard and the Mackenzie Mausoleum’. A concise account of Mackenzie’s changing position on witchcraft prosecutions.

Stevenson, Robert Louis. Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes (1878).

Wiseman, Richard. Research papers on the psychology of ghosts and hauntings, including the Edinburgh and Hampton Court studies.

The Dark Atlas logo

Discover more from Shin Stories

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *